Sunroofs offer a lot: fresh air, natural light, an increase in car value, etc. However, your sunroof is easily susceptible to damage if not properly cared for. And this, of course, can quickly turn into a nightmare—especially if it fails to close and the weather calls for heavy rain. Worse yet, a damaged sunroof can suddenly shatter while driving, posing a risk to you and your passengers.
At 5 Star Auto Glass, we are your full-service windshield repair shop. And our experienced technicians specialize in sunroof replacements and repairs. So if your vehicle has a sunroof in need of repair, we can help.
But if you’re just searching for general knowledge regarding your sunroof problems, we’ve got you covered on that front too. Here are 4 common sunroof issues and what you can do about them.
1. Sunroof Leaks
If your sunroof is leaking water during or after it rains, there could be a clog in the drain, or the rubber seals may be worn. This issue may require a sunroof glass replacement if not addressed immediately. The reason is that leaking water can cause other problems within your car’s interior. For example, it can result in:
- Significant vehicle damage (surfaces warping, rust, corrosion, etc.)
- Reduction in resale value
- Deterioration of electronics
- Fowel odour due to mould and mildew buildup
It’s important to repair or replace your damaged sunroof as soon as possible to avoid these and other problems.
2. Shattered Sunroof
Although sunroof glass is heavy-duty, it’s not indestructible. A cracked or broken sunroof, even if it’s minor, should be fixed right away. Such crevices increase the chances of a complete window shattering while driving. Some of the most common causes of cracked sunroofs are collisions or heavy objects falling onto your car. Here are a few ideas to help you avoid a shattered sunroof:
- Check your garage: If you’re parking your car in a garage, ensure there’s no overhead storage that will fall on top of your vehicle. This kind of vigilance can go a long way in preventing your subroof from possible damage.
- Practice vigilance when parking outside: Be wary of parking under trees or around construction sites on windy days or during storms.
- Think twice about high-pressure washes: While it may be convenient, pressure washes can also be damaging to your windshield. If you feel it’s necessary to get a thorough cleaning, try to adjust the settings so you’re not overwhelming your sunroof.
Although rare, a sunroof shattering while driving is also a possibility. Be sure to periodically look for damage to your sunroof that can be repaired. This process will help you avoid a full sunroof glass replacement.
3. Electrical Issues
An issue that understandably causes panic among car owners is a sunroof that won’t close. Inoperable sunroofs are usually caused by a dead motor, broken fuse, or faulty switch. These issues could be due to general wear and tear or from dirt or debris getting stuck in the gears. The good news is a trained auto repair technician can fix these electrical issues.
Remember, unless you have a fair stock of experience solving such automotive problems, it’s best to get the help of specialists. Otherwise, you run the risk of making the problem worse.
4. Sunroof Rattling While Driving
A common and annoying issue is a rattling sunroof as you’re driving. An easy fix is lubricating the sunroof’s moving parts with lightweight, heat-resistant grease. If it continues to rattle, the glass may be out of alignment. As a result, the skills of an auto glass repair shop might be necessary. Simple fixes are fine for the DIY approach; however, if the problem persists, it may be the result of:
- You not performing the solution correctly, or
- Something else may be the cause of the problem
In either case, the best course of action is to contact the professionals. This will help alleviate the stress you feel and find the real culprit behind your rattling sunroof.
How to Fix Your Sunroof Problems
Your sunroof is an asset to your car’s configuration. And although it may seem like a standard feature, that doesn’t mean you should attempt fixing it on your own. You may inadvertently make things worse. For this reason, it’s important to contact experts with the skills and knowledge to fix such issues. At 5 Star Auto Glass, we are a team of experienced technicians that is here for your automobile repair needs.
Contact us today to repair or replace your sunroof.