You’re driving down the highway when a rock comes flying out of nowhere and bounces off your windshield, leaving behind an unsightly chip. Unfortunately, this scenario is quite common on Calgary roads. When it does happen, you’re left with a few options – ignore the damage, head to the nearest mobile windshield repair shop in Calgary, or try to remedy the issue with a DIY windshield repair kit. If you ignore a small chip, it will eventually expand and require a complete replacement. Now, you might be wondering whether taking your car to an auto glass shop is worthwhile when the damage is small enough to repair yourself. Let’s break down what to expect with a windshield repair kit so you can make an informed decision.
How a DIY windshield repair kit works
There are many DIY windshield repair kits available, but each one will typically have instructions along with:
- A tool to clean debris out of the chip
- A tool to inject resin into the damage
- Film to cover the resin as it cures
These kits work by filling the chip with a resin that hardens and prevents the damage from spreading. Easy enough, right? Not quite. While the advantage here is that it’s the cheapest way to fix a windshield crack, remember that “cheap” does not always mean cost-effective.
The disadvantages of glass repair kits
Now that you have an idea of how DIY windshield repair kits work, knowing the disadvantages will help you come to the right decision. Many people are unaware of the following:
- A botched DIY windshield repair job cannot be undone. If you make a mistake, the entire windshield will need to be replaced.
- Windshield repair kits only work with certain types of chips that a professional auto glass repair shop can identify. They can’t repair all windshield chips.
- Attempting to repair a windshield chip yourself can void your vehicle warranty.
- A trained auto glass repair technician knows exactly the amount of pressure and what method to use for all types of damage, including starburst chips, spiderweb cracks, and bullseye chips. They’ll know how to prevent cracking around the damaged area and have higher quality tools and resin that bonds to the damage.
- If you don’t fill the chip completely or the resin fails to bond, eventually, the windshield will crack. If this happens after a professional mobile windshield repair, most auto glass repair shops in Calgary have warranties and policies in place that cover the cost of additional repairs. When you do it on your own, remember that any DIY repairs that don’t work can’t be undone and will require a full replacement.
With the information above, the answer to the question “are DIY windshield repair kits worth it?” really depends on the risk that you’re willing to take with something as important and life-saving as your vehicle’s windshield. As an experienced auto glass repair shop that sees customers come in after a failed DIY attempt, we believe it’s not worth it. Having the work done correctly on your windshield is always, always better than the alternative.