To determine whether a windshield is repairable, qualified auto glass technicians take several factors into consideration. Each case is assessed on an individual basis for a recommended course of action. Although the damage may be minimal, the windshield’s structural integrity may be compromised or poses a safety risk.
In general, most chips and cracks can be repaired. Auto glass technicians use the following criteria to determine if the damage can be repaired:
- Size – If the crack is smaller than 12 inches or the chip’s bullseye is shorter than 1 inch.
- Depth – Only the outer layer of the glass is damaged.
- Location – The damage is away from the edge of the glass.
Signs auto glass needs to be replaced
Certain factors call for a complete windshield replacement. The main priority for any professional auto glass shop is to ensure passengers’ safety and other drivers on the road.
The following signs typically require auto glass replacement:
- The crack is longer than 14 inches, or the chip’s bullseye is larger than 3 inches.
- The damage has penetrated the inner layer of the glass.
- The windshield damage impairs the driver’s visibility.
- The damage is near or reaches the edges of the windshield.
- The damage touches the rain sensor or internal radio antenna.
Factors that auto glass technicians in Calgary take into consideration
- Safety – Auto glass is weakened by damage. In an accident, a cracked windshield can shatter and endanger the driver and passengers inside. An undamaged windshield protects drivers and passengers and maintains the structural integrity of the car.
- Visibility – In some places, driving with a cracked windshield that impairs visibility is illegal. If the damage runs across the driver’s line of vision, a replacement is the best course of action.
- Location of the damage – Even small blemishes on the edge or corner of the auto glass can be a significant safety risk. Technological systems embedded into the windshield, such as sensors or driver’s assistance, is compromised and require a full windshield replacement.
The best way to determine whether your auto glass can be repaired is to take your vehicle into a professional shop in Calgary as soon as possible. If you suspect that your auto glass needs replacement, it’s important to take immediate action for the safety of you, your passengers, and others on the road.